July 26, 2010

During the week I fabricated rat guards for the docklines (out of WalMart dog frisbies and PVC pipe fittings) in anticipation of tying up to docks in areas surrounded by fields. (I'll post pictures later to show them in use). I had a single rat do serious damage to a boat before, so it's a stitch in time.... I also got the propane tanks filled and picked up the new propane hose and fitting I had ordered so I could properly install a new system. Saturday evening I loaded up a bunch of gear to bring to the boat in preparation for launch.

Thanks to my dog, I was up at 4:30 am Sunday, and so got an early start. (See coffee zombie in previous post.) By 11:20 I had the second coat of bottom paint on, and plenty of paint left over to touch up the spots under the stands next week. After a nice lunch on the deck at Cuttings Wharf, I removed the masking tape from the water line and started hauling gear aboard.



The remainder of the day was spent finishing up the wiring for the stern light and the new remote cockpit switch for the windlass. Running wire in a completed boat is a tough job, requiring twisting and wedging yourself into all sorts of nearly impossible positions to pull and push the wire through bulkheads, cabinets, lockers and cubby holes.
It was a hard-won battle, but it was a sweet victory: the bow light and stern light were working, and I can now raise the big Rocna anchor with the push of a finger from the cockpit.


Next week launch preparation begins in earnest. I'll be taking the week off to get everything ready for the launch and the trip up the river to Circadian's new berth.

1 comment:

  1. Gad that bow loos soo beautiful. Love the idea of those rat guards. Cannot wait to seek them in action so I know what to do.

    Nice going quasimodo! =)

    ReplyDelete