November 8, 2010

It was a cha-cha week on Circadian: one step forward, two back. During the week I took several more measures to eliminate dust and grit in my final varnish coats. I moved my HEPA filter into the guest bathroom I used as a clean room and let it run for 24 hours. I filtered the varnish into a new plastic cup that had been blown out with canned air. After vacuuming the surface to be varnished, I wiped it down with a tack rag and followed that by blowing it off with canned air. It all helped, but there were still flaws. It only takes one hair, flake of dandruff, bit of dust or moth to mar an otherwise perfect surface. Duh!

Sooooooo, Saturday I bit the bullet and decided I had to do what I had been working so hard to avoid: a hand-rubbed finish. I was able to get powdered pumice and rottenstone at Woodcraft, where they not only have it, they don't look at you like you're crazy when you ask for it. I already had some 2000 grit wet sandpaper (usually used for color sanding auto finishes), finishing wax, and a new secret ingredient: Pledge.

I wet sanded the table top, followed that with pumice mixed with a bit of water to make a paste, which was followed (after removing the pumice completely) by the rottenstone, also mixed into a paste. Lots of rubbing, always with the grain, of course. Then I applied the carnauba finishing wax to add more luster. It did, but it also tended to streak and show marks wherever it was touched. As an experiment, I tried going over it with some Pledge. Eureka!! Whatever oil or other secret ingredients are in that stuff, it did the trick. No fingerprints, and a nice smooth luster that shows reflections, but doesn't make the wood look like it's covered with plastic (which it is). So from now on, frustration will be replaced with elbow grease.




Sunday it rained steadily, but I wanted to go to the boat to check for leaks, replace the steering wheel and finish wiring up the radar.

The one teak hatch that wasn't covered with plastic sheeting seemed fine. I did discover that one of the covered-over holes for the old ports was leaking, so I now know which new port gets installed next. Much to my surprise and disappointment, I discovered the forward hatch that I had redone was leaking somewhere between the frame and the base. I tried tightening the mounting screws in the rain, to no avail. There was one screw the wrong size that could not be tightened securely, so that might be it. There's a lot of butyl around the base, but I didn't pre-compress it with clamps like I did with the new ports (which, by the way, did not leak). When I get some dry weather, I'll remove all the mounting screws, stuff in more butyl, and use clamps to compress the butyl.

I had to replace the steering wheel that I had just removed (with some difficulty, you might recall) because the mechanic who is going to remove my old generator wants to do it next week. To pull it off the boat, we need to move the boat to another part of the marina. Steering will be a necessity! The steering wheel's mounting screw would not go back into the shaft because it took so much force on the wheel puller to get the wheel off that the pressure from central pin on the puller distorted the first few threads in the steering wheel shaft just enough to prevent the mounting bolt from screwing in. No worries, I thought; I'll just re-tap the threads. No big deal, since I had a tap and die set on board. English boat, English threads, right? It turns out, no. So, I had to drive into town and get a metric tap the right size. Fortunately, they had one, and it did the job.

Next: wire up the radar display. Months ago while hauled out in Napa, I mounted the antenna on the mast while the mast was down, and eventually got the antenna wire through the mast. (See January 31 and February 15 blogs.) But under the gun to get the boat in the water and to her home berth, I never had time to wire up the display and check to see if everything worked. So, for all these months, it's been a little concern nagging at me. The day of reckoning had finally arrived. Luckily there was a breaker available on the panel and a route for the wire into the doghouse that didn't require any drilling. However, the instructions also called for a ground wire to be run from a terminal on the display "to a bolt on the hull (or weld)." Clearly they were assuming a metal hull, since fiberglass is an insulator. I found a bolt on the engine that had several other ground wires terminated to it, so I thought that would be a good spot to ground the display. I had just enough black wire to reach, too. Once I had everything wired up, it was time for the dramatic moment: would it work? I pressed the power switch. The display immediately lit up and showed the proper first screen. Yeah! Okay, but the big test was would the antenna and the cable connection work? I hacked around with the buttons and on-screen menu until I had arrived at the display that should show the radar image. Blank white screen. I went through the sequence again just to be sure I had done it right. I had. Still a blank screen. The roar of stomach acid flowing was palpable. I had visions of big problems and big expenses. I was able to push back the tide of anxiety and negative fantasies long enough to recall the wisdom of Occam's razor, which in this case meant "Look for the simplest problem/solution first." I jiggled the antenna connection on the back of the display. Voila!!! A radar image! Whew!!!



While I won't be able to permanently mount the display until I get a new ceiling in the doghouse, it was a great relief to know the radar is working.

Since I will need to move the boat next week, I thought it would be a good idea to make sure the engine and running gear were working properly before I left. Besides, the engine hadn't been run in quite a while, and it needed some exercise. I could let it run while I cleaned up. I checked the oil, which was still clear since the last change (only about 10 operating hours ago), and opened the raw water intake seacock. The engine started right up, water was gushing out the exhaust as it should, and she ran smoothly. There was only one fly in the ointment: the electronic digital engine hour meter was blank! Damn! Always something. I checked the connections on the back of the panel and everything seemed solid. Short of some sort of internal computer failure, the only thing I could think of that might have caused the failure was that there might be a ground connection at the engine bolt I used to ground the radar that had gone bad as a result of the removal and reassembly. Well, I was out of time and couldn't try to test that possibility. If a simple fix like cleaning and reconnecting the grounds doesn't do it, I'll have to just buy a good old reliable Hobbs meter and wire it into the ignition circuit. Stay tuned!

13 comments:

  1. Annoying salymonkey comments of the week return just to keep you off your tows (pun intended):

    * tsk tsk - satin finish and you would have been done months ago. Saltymonkey is always right.

    * no idea about the hatch except things dry up and contract - weather and temp and all.

    * best practice via manufacturers - once a month make your boat a power boat for a few hours under load to burn off moisture and clean the insides. Not just at the dock with low RPMs and no load.

    * you need a real grounding solution. Engines suck at radiating ground and add noise to the mix from the engine and all components leading to it, not to mention deterioration of engine "stuff" in line. get a couple of nice grounding plates. For SSB, if you choose to get one, check out the KISS radial grounding solution, which doesn't require dynaplate grounding. People get good results. BTW are you a HAM? If so, whats your call sign?

    * wait a minute - that radar is displaying Man Chu Chong in the south china seas!

    Otherwise, awesome week. My head doesnt get to hurt from fiberglass layers, fumes, and really big holes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. - update on engine - should be FOUR hours minimum, not just a 'few" hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely about the engine running under load for a significant amount of time. Last week definitely doesn't qualify. Hopefully next weekend when we pull the old gen set.

    As for the ground, I'm as confused as the experts: lightning grounds vs bonding grounds vs counterpoise grounds vs system grounds. I don't think the ground on the radar is intended to function as a counterpoise, but what do I know? But you did make me recall that there is a thru-hull bolt that goes to what think is a big old zinc (but don't know for sure) that's still in good shape. I think I'll try grounding the radar to that when I clean up the terminals on the engine ground. And thanks for the tip on the KISS counterpoise. I just bought an old SEA 322 and tuner on Ebay for $450, and that KISS counterpoise could be just the ticket. Do you or anyone you know have any personal experience with it? No, I'm not a ham, but it sounds like you are. It's on my "some day" list. Maybe after I retire :)

    No comparison between a genuine handrubbed finish and satin varnish...you have to see it and feel it. Besides, satin varnish still gets zits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SSB Grounds:

    I've conversed with a number of people online in group conversations regarding the KISS-SSB radial ground system as advertised below.

    http://kiss-ssb.blogspot.com/
    http://kiss-ssb.com/

    Remember, this ground is for your ANTENNA needs.

    The owners who have them are happily satisfied and get good coverage. I think I remember one person having an issue, but you don't know (have doubts about what they are saying) if they had their problems because of a bad install or another factor in their expectation and usage, or even in the tranceiver manufacturer combination.

    The other people who have positive things to say are the professional electronic installers, who not only swear by them but also castigate manufacturers like ICOM for their false recommendations. They say all their customers are working thousands of miles away without distortion etc. Although a number of professionals are engineers with many years experience and also HAMsters, I still have my doubts. A radial system on ground is totally different from one at sea. And I cannot imagine that the required area coverage and quality of a ground inside a hull can match a good set of dynaplates in direct contact with the ocean. Copper straps + dynaplate seems to me still the standard, but hey, I am keeping an open mind and I'll take what I can get for less dollars. Dynaplate solutions are expensive and require drilling into the hull, which I'm not keen about. The plates, to be effective need to be clean, else the required sq metre coverage is reduced - hence probably why 2 or more is best. I'm sure with your magical mariner touch you can find some in the market cheap at the chandlery or at the fairs. But, testing out a KISS system first may make some sense.
    continued...

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAM License:

    As for HAM licenses, the only reason to get one is to take advantange of some services that are available for amateur radio. This would include the HAM group nets for cruisers out there in different ocean regions, as well as to take advantage of Winlink email services that are FREE (so you can get email at sea). The reason you would want email at sea, besides communicating to friend and folks etc, is to get GRIB weather forcast files sent to you on demand from servers so you can get wind, weather and wave forcasts world wide. These small files can be integrated into your chart software as an overlay so you can plan and change your route on a daily basis as necessary.

    For regular SSB users, there is also sailmail, which is similar to winlink but charges $200 a year. With either service you will need a PACTOR modem to receive the digital files and email onto your laptop.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PACTOR
    http://www.arrl.org/pactor

    continued...

    ReplyDelete
  6. PACTOR-I modems, although slower, were the first open generation protocol and can be cheaply found. PACTOR-II and PACTOR-III are proprietary modems manufactured by and are quite costly - around $1,200+ new. Winlink provides a secondary software package called WINMOR which is a software version of the PACTOR modem therefore can provide the same service as a PACTOR-I hardware modem for free. Hence, another possible reason to go with a HAM license.

    For weather fax, you can get WEFAX downloads either by using your PACTOR II or III modem, or a software package on your laptop + a regular shortwave radio into your soundcard. (weatherfax 2000 pro for example)

    As for me, I'm looking for cheap and flexible alternatives. I dont feel like spending 4-5000 $ on radio and modem equipment that is locked into a single use on a boat. Right now, for the same price of an ICOM 802 unit I could get 2-3 new portable all band ham rigs that I could use not only on the boat but also in a car or even on battery should I meet up with a girl-monkey and go off into a jungle in paradise. They also provide more control over signal reception etc, including additionl filters.

    continued...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lightning Grounds:

    Yes its confusing, and I am still not quite clear about it. Its a toss up from the experts in both directions - do or dont do. Right now I am leaning on a positive system meaning two to four dynaplates at the bottom of the hull and direct connections from the mast (no bends), and chainplates. You want enough coverage to dissapate the energy from 1 million volts. Your VHF antenna and set should also not be grounded to the same plate as the rest of your systems. And I would also put lightning arrestors on all antenna leads (including radar) to your chart plotter etc.

    Because of a skin effect, any of this is an open question, and I am also thinking of creating a mini faraday cage for any of my more important equipment. You can also use a microwave oven, oven, or pressure cooker for important things like backup GPS, handheld radio etc. Also for consideration is keeping the radar dome on a radar mast rather than the main mast and insulating as much as possible the bases.

    continued...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Final thoughts:

    For your SSB, make sure you connect it directly to the battery terminals and not through a breaker panel. Have sufficient guage in those wires and fuses on both negative and positive leads. You might also provide a seperate switch so you dont accidently leave it on and drain your battery down. In any case this will keep noise off the radio.

    HAM license is not hard to get. All the questions and asnwers to the exam are given to you. The tests will pick a small subset from that pool. You will need at least to pass the technician and the general to take advantage of HAM services for cruisers. It costa about 14 $ to take the test and you can sit for BOTH tests in one sitting and save money. The "extra" license class is a bit more difficult and adds a few HAM bands that are not necessary for cruisers, if you want to just round off and get an extra feather. Sit for all three and save even more money, but this last test is pulled from a pool of 736+ questions, out of which you need to pass with something like 38 correct out of 50 chosen. I'm sitting for mine in a couple more weeks and seem to be prepared.

    Grounding for me: Maybe 3 plates - 1 ground for equipment; 2 for lightning. And KISS ground for antenna.

    FINE'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, one last thing. You might consider NOT having an SSB for email and GRIBs at all, and go with a iridium satellite phone. The phone will cost around 1k and minutes I think go for around $600 for 500 min.

    I know for a fact that Beth Leonard and Evan Starzinger on their last circumnavigation intentionally did not have an SSB - to disconnect from the gab of cruisers and to also get better reception for their needs. Of course it costs $.

    Globalstar is a secondary satphone option but their service is not quite back to par with iridium and doenst have world coverage. perhaps in a few more years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking the time to share all this information. I'm pretty much in sync with you, but I'll go for the SSB and WFAX for now as that will meet most of my immediate needs. I'll try the KISS counterpoise because of it's ease of installation, relatively low cost and it won't corrode away in three years like foil in the bilge always does. Hell, it might even work great! In my last SSB installation, for the counterpoise I laminated about 15 square feet of thin copper foil to the hull below the waterline and had about 10 sq ft of bronze screening inside the hull plus ground to the engine for a counterpoise. It seemed to work, but was never really subjected to any tough tests. I think the Starzingers would generally be considered idiosyncratic in their attitude toward SSB. But, they can afford sat phone and they're just as entitled to be idiosyncratic as we are!
    I'm still undecided about the lightning issue. I'm reluctant to put more holes in the hull and spend significant money to do something that no one seems certain about. Lightning seems fickle and unpredictable. I'm also a little concerned that if the ground's contact area isn't sufficient, you end up blowing a big hole in the bottom of the hull. On the other hand, I'm not comfortable doing nothing. I think the idea of the bottle brush dissipators has been discredited now. The University of Florida paper seems to favor grounding.

    Sat phone would be a nice luxury, and great for world wide Internet access, but is still WAYYYYY to expensive for me for the time I would burn through getting data online. GRIBS would be nice, but it's important to keep in mind that they are just computer model output; no meteorologist or any human has checked them or modified them after considering other factors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lightning - yes its confusing. not sure the plates would blow out or you would get a large hole in bottom so much as losing all your equipment anyway if not installed properly. But hey, without a system you would get sieve holes as the lighning arcs to find a straight line out of the hull and may blow up your batteries and start a fire. But I'd be more concerned about having a system if say you were sailing in the Chesepeake around 4-5 pm on a summers day than say in the PAC NW.

    Here are some links for the audit and history

    http://www.kastenmarine.com/Lightning.htm
    http://www.kp44.org/LightningProtection.php
    http://www.strikeshield.com/
    http://www.marinelightning.com/
    http://www.shopoma.com.au/MOONRAKER-Copper-Earth-Plate.2439
    http://www.iamimarine.org/iami/exchange.pdf

    Your SSB - seems right to me. satphone expensive! maybe in a few more years if globalstar gets their act together WEFAX should be a baseline whether you believe in GRIBS or not. The models seems to be accurate to me reviewing them, but I would never trust them more than 48 hours out anyway.

    While you are at it, if you havent been exposed yet - check out OpenCPN which is an open source chart plotter for your PC that is pretty hot and free.

    http://opencpn.org/

    all you need is a GPS and optionally an AIS.

    SaltyMonkey is a chatter monkey and will lean back now in his armchair and watch capt G prepare for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great information! Thanks for sharing it! I have a puck-type gps and chartplotter program that included all the free US government charts for my laptop that I got as a package on Ebay for very little. I also have an old hand-held GPS that seems pretty crude by today's standards. But it still works, so I keep it in a watertight metal ammo box (Faraday cage!) as part of my ditch kit and as a back up. Radar is up and running, so I'm getting closer. After nearly getting run down by a freighter at 2 am in the Delta, even with the radar going, I'm now a believer in AIS, and plan to get the Simrad 150 stand-alone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome Capt G, sounds like you are in the know! I can probably hook you up w international charts via opencpn when you are ready.

    Simrad 150 - expensive puppy but im a believer even more now that you have shared that experience!

    ReplyDelete