April 11, 2011



During the week I spent a lot of time slogging through the paperwork and bureaucratic steps necessary for retiring. I also managed to fabricate and lacquer three aluminum trim strips for the three front windows in the doghouse, two of which leak. The idea is that by adding these three strips to the bottom of the inside window frames, sealed with butyl tape, the seepage will flow back out to the outside rather than inside. This would be the quick fix I mentioned earlier. Hopefully it will work, because the alternatives are all big and/or expensive jobs. If it works but the lacquer doesn't prevent corrosion, it would be worth getting them anodized later.



After tai chi practice Saturday morning, I headed down to the Delta to continue working on the ABI port installation and, if things went well, install the new aluminum strips on the doghouse windows. It was another beautiful spring day on the Delta, sunny warm and delightful.

Unfortunately, I had to work hard to make the progress I wanted. I spent almost two hours repeatedly test fitting the new port and carefully grinding the cutout until the port fit properly. Lifting and manipulating a 25lb port and 8lb grinder over your head dozens of times gets tiring, let me tell ya! By the end of the day I had just enough energy left to mix and apply some epoxy to seal the edges of the plywood liner in the opening. I also filled the cracks and gaps around the edge with epoxy putty.

Sunday I lightly sanded the cured epoxy and drilled the mounting bolt holes for the port. Using a countersinking bit, I made a little bevel around the holes on the outside. That was for a little 'donut' of butyl that would be compressed under a washer to form a good seal around the bolt. Next was putting the butyl tape around the port's mounting flange and securing the port in place with 1/4 inch bronze bolts, nuts and washers. With these larger bolts, pre-compressing the butyl with clamps wasn't necessary. Repeatedly tightening down the bolts worked fine, and the butyl squeezed nicely into all the gaps. The butyl slowly continued to ooz for a couple of hours, so I worked on other projects for a while and came back and snugged things down a bit more.


Those other projects included mounting the boat hook in the doghouse using a couple of plastic clips and installing the new aluminum strips on the three front doghouse windows.


All that went well enough that I also had time to remove the old aft head. I wanted to get that done so that I could take it to the Encinal Yacht Club marine swap meet next weekend and try to sell it (cheap). Rather than go to the trouble of installing a new head and all the required plumbing, I plan on simply mounting a portapottie. They're good for landlubber guests because they are easy to use and impossible to plug up, they're also quiet, and a good back-up for the main head.



By the time I was done and had trimmed away the excess butyl around the port, cleaned up the mess and vacuumed up all the dust covering everything in the main cabin, I was totally exhausted. My arms were so tired it was tough work just holding the steering wheel on the drive home. But, I had gotten a lot done and was a happy, if tired, sailor. The new port brightens the cabin significantly, and it will be nice to be able to look outside while doing the dishes.


3 comments:

  1. once again a most excellent weekend of bustle. I am of course skeptical about aluminum strips and such, but we shall be proven wrong - we can hope.

    the port shines nicely. I do hope you end up continuing actually, and install the others presently instead of waiting. 3 weeks should do it? it makes a large difference to the livability I can see now, so why not complete the job - or all the big ones. You will have little energy or motivation once you are in lands of margaritas.

    But most enjoyable was the lavender colours in your picture. It is refreshing to have something to look at from nature as I sit here contemplating my own stagnation - desires unsatisfied on coasts that are a bit sparce of sailing.

    SaltyMonkey salutes Capt G and his projects this week and hopes to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SM. Glad you enjoy the nature pics; I'll keep them coming. The aluminum strip idea was copied from what was done on the sliding windows on the sides of the doghouse, and they work there. Those windows are vertical, however, while the forward windows slope, so we'll see. Always remember that the best part of being wrong is joy it brings to others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my my! SaltyMonkey would never get pleasure from Capt G being wrong! SaltyMonkey is only sharing his professional knowledge as a member of the Professional Entourage of Technical Monkey Engineers (PET-ME) which is very very difficult to join - requiring 1 hour of class time and a multiple choice question test of 2 questions. Not easy! Not easy at all, Capt G!

    I am sure your solution will work just fine and provide a nice covering over a well sealed slot, so all will be well, and rain will not come in!

    ReplyDelete