July 12, 2011

I worked hard all week on preparing the house to go on the market, so Circadian had to take a back seat. I did manage to finish varnishing the berth extension side board and assemble it, though. I brought it to the boat today (Tuesday) to test fit it and do some other projects, since it finally cooled down a bit. Like everything else on a boat, the extension didn't quite fit the first time. I need to cut a little notch out of the bottom edge of the side board, and of course I had every type of saw at hand except the one I needed to make that cut. Next trip.

The new L.E.D. red and white chart table dome light arrived during the week, so I wired it up and mounted it on the new ceiling panel. Very nice and draws tiny amounts of current.

The major project of the day was working on the installation of the new Dickinson propane heater/fireplace. A lot of time was spent carefully measuring and remeasuring to make sure I had proper clearances and that the chimney holes through the ceiling and dash board would line up with the heater so that the chimney was vertical and straight. I finally cut the three-inch holes for the chimney and checked things out. Everything lined up, but I had to cut about 4 inches off the intake/chimney pipes. (The unit is a very clever design in which the hot exhaust gases exit through a smaller pipe inside a larger pipe which is the intake for combustion air. Keeps the outside of the chimney cool, and doesn't use up oxygen from the cabin.) It was a bit tricky cutting the flexible pipe, but following Dickinson's recommendations, it worked out fine. I mounted the fireplace on the bulkhead, installed the chimney and cap, and started on the wiring for the circulation fan. To complete the installation, I need to install an inline fuse and hook up the wiring to power and install the propane supply. I also anticipate adding a guard of some sort to prevent accidentally grabbing the hot chimney cap that is conveniently next to the companionway. But it's still summer, so there's lots of time and I'm happy that at least I got one big box of gear out of the aft cabin. And I didn't need to cut an opening in the front of the cabinet below the heater as I had feared; the top lid still opens enough to provide access for all but larger objects. (I rejoice in small victories!).




But I'm definitely hurting now with all this constant work on house and boat and no recovery time sitting in the office. It's gonna be a three winebuprofin night.

5 comments:

  1. Ok, I was really surprised by all the work you managed to do this last weekend. Particularly the heater which is a pleasant unexpected surprise.

    I have to say I am a bit confused by your arrangement. Did you drill a hole to the cockpit area? It looks like you did in the photo of the chimney top.

    Also, why did you place it at the door? Usually you mount these on the bulkhead to forward area so the entire cabin area including forward area is heated and stays heated.

    And finally, maybe to consider some extra heat shield on the bulhead as these things radiate a LOT of heat and covering more of that wall would protect it. You can also rig up some fancy porceline tiles and make it a very quant experience.

    Ok one more...concerns your forward thinking about burning your hands on the chimney. Seen a few solutions where a sort of exhaust pipe cover existed over the base pipe - with fancy designs cut through to make it artisitically pleasing. Also some which also served as hand holds.

    You can sort of see an example here in some of these shots of a Vulcain

    http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/10643

    Second pic bottom of page on the right - that post that looks like a marimba is an exhaust
    Fifth pic on the bottom of page on the left - same

    wish I could find better shots.

    http://www.thinkyachts.com/listing1644/35-caroff-vulcan-yacht/

    ps i wanted this #*@#*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I placed the fireplace where it is (by the door,venting into the cockpit)because that was the only place that worked (when chimney location, stove location and propane routing were considered) without major modifications to the interior layout. Like most things on a boat, it's a compromise. Being near the door has some pluses: I can choose to let some heat into the doghouse by opening the doors and it warms you up nicely when you come in from outside. The stainless heatshield behind the stove is all that is needed according to Dickinson. If I find the bulkhead gets too warm once I've used it, I'll add more protection. I'm not worried about the chimney inside getting grabbed, rather the cap in the doghouse. I will eventually add a diesel heater in the aft cabin for longterm warm nights, so the primary purpose of the propane fireplace is for when folks are using the main cabin. Thanks for the references! I see you like steel boats. Lot of boat for the money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Capt G. I guess my main point about putting the cap in the doghouse was fumes and that oxygen getting into the heater would be reduced because of coxide. be careful, cappy!

    I love the Dickinson idea in general.

    Steel boats - yup almost went that way. took a welding course in oakland which was addictive. But alas, they are difficult to survey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although the doghouse is open, like a big dodger, I share your concern about CO, and will install a detector.

    All boat-building materials have their pluses and minuses. Steel is strong and there are no hull-deck joint or hardware leaks to worry about. However,they rust from the inside out, so, as you say, it's hard to survey their condition beyond an ultrasound. The other issue is the need to keep the paint coatings perfect or you get ugly rust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, for sure! Keepin the eye open and foamed above the waterline. I think you would love welding!

    ReplyDelete