September 26, 2011





Well, it was another week in which life interfered with my plans, albeit all to the good.  The house is in escrow again with a pending sale, and I even got a back-up offer.  Unfortunately, the buyers want an FHA loan, which requires an FHA inspection which requires a lot of PITA health and safety standards be met.  As a consequence, I had to abandon some of my planned boat projects in order to make some house modifications to try to meet the FHA standards.  These included adding handrails to porch steps and pouring a new concrete step for the basement.  There's more to do, but that's what I accomplished this week.  In between house projects, I made a quick run to the boat to check the fit of my new stemless wine glasses in my new glass rack and mark the trim line for the laminated dinghy transom reinforcement I started last week.  I also checked the autopilot again, and it worked as it did last week.  Still haven't talked to Wil at WH yet.



Back home in the shop, I trimmed the laminated dinghy transom, rounded the edges with the router, and applied a thick coat of epoxy.                                                                                        

That was about all I was able to accomplish because I had to quickly pack up and jump on a plane to LA to visit Carol.  It had been too long, and with everything that had been happening with the house, it was tough to make travel plans.  Nonetheless, I was at the airport at sunrise on Saturday, and it all worked out.


Because I wired up Carol's new retro stereo system for her while I was there, I was able to cajole her into doing a bit of sewing for me.   I had an old canvas dinghy cover that needed the seams restitched and thought we might make a tablecloth for the little folding table for the boat.  We scoured the fabric store until we found some fabric we liked and headed back to her place for a sewing bee.  Well, her little vintage Singer was, not surprisingly, unable to handle the heavy canvas of the dinghy cover.  The tablecloth was no problem, though, and since we had extra fabric, Carol made a spare.  Thanks, Carol!






1 comment:

  1. Nice repose of a week, really. I enjoyed the break and quiet and the focus of one thing - the glass rack looked much nicer this week with the shine in there. Nice to concentrate on this project instead of just skimming over the pics as usual.

    Sort of shocked by all the FHA stuff you had to do. Is it really that crazy of an inspection? What if it fails? next steps?

    You need a sewing machine of your own!

    Again, thanks for a sky picture. I hardly get any nature where i am.

    ReplyDelete