February 5, 2015

The big project this week was installing a mini home theater sound system in the v-berth.  I had installed a small 12 volt flatscreen TV  and DVD player some time back, but the sound put out by the tiny TV speakers was terrible and very low volume.  When I finally figured out a way to stream videos using my iPhone (which has an unlimited data plan), it was time to find a real solution to the poor audio.  Because I wanted the entire system to operate on 12 volts, the quick and easy sound bar solution wouldn’t work.  Besides, I already had four old classic Radio Shack Minimus 7 bookshelf speakers from my previous boat that were just gathering dust and dings in storage.  I really just needed an amp.  Well, one thing led to another (as boat projects tend to go).  I wanted to use the system to provide audio for not only the streaming video, but the DVD player and the TV itself, so I would need to be able to connect all three sources to the amp and switch among them.  After a good deal of Internet searching, I finally found a six-way switcher that would work at a reasonable cost.  I also found a small, 40 watt Jensen amp that was ruggedized and virtually waterproof.  The whole thing was bedded in one big block of epoxy!  Of course I would also need to custom make a housing for it all, wire it all up, and refurbish the old speakers.  Although it took most of the week, I got it all done.  After some experimentation, I got the speakers placed optimally and the sound is excellent (although lacking the deep bass that a subwoofer can provide).  It even comes close to mimicking surround sound and totally transforms the movie experience.  I can play music through the system too.  The only glitch is that the system picks up noise from the 12 v charger for the iPhone.  I tried a ferrite noise filter, but that did nothing.  Next I’ll try an automotive noise suppression filter.  Hell, someday I might even add a subwoofer!

I also managed to get another coat of Epifanes RapidCoat on the teak trim for the head after my new supply arrived.  The head is ALMOST done!  Say "Hallelujah!"






















2 comments:

  1. I'm disappointed. I wanted to believe you would spend your time reading books or writing poetry than watching endless Hollywood *ssh** on your TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even poets and scholars enjoy a good movie now and then. Besides, it's not ALL shit; just 98% of it!

    ReplyDelete