Punta de Mita and Projects

It's been very hot this week, with the humidity still high, so I try to get things done in the morning before it gets miserable.  Afternoons are spent in the pool or in the boat's air conditioned cabin.  Tony and I took a trip into Punta de Mita on Wednesday and we had a nice time exploring and having lunch in a beachfront restaurant. 
I continued with projects and maintenance in preparation for the upcoming cruising season.  The big news is I seem to finally be over my intestinal issues.  I took the remainder of some antibiotics that my Ventura doctor prescribed for me when I left, and that seems to have done the trick.  Hurray!!!


Quite a turnout for the weekly cruisers' dinner at the yacht club.
A few folks have already returned for the cruising season.

The chef takes his bows.

Wednesday Tony and I took the bus from Nuevo Vallarta to
Punta de Meta.

It's about 25 miles.  The fare was only about $1.20, including
a serenade.

Unfortunately, he wasn't very good.

The bus terminal in Punta de Mita

Of course we headed right to the beach.

Looking northwest toward Punta de Mita and the Marietas islands

Looking east toward La Cruz

Looking toward town from the panga marina

We came across this nice-looking restaurant behind a hotel.

After checking the menu, we decided to move on.
It was overpriced, clearly targeting naïve gringos.

We found this less pretentious local place, and enjoyed good 
food, great service and a great view for half the price.

Tony enjoys a cold one with the Marietas in the background.

This unusual building is the Light of the World church.
It is still under construction.

I first saw it months ago while anchored off Punta de Mita.
I could only see this view of the roof and had wondered
what it was.  Now I know.

This horse next to the church was enjoying being "deep in the clover."

These guys seemed quite at home in front a small restaurant.
I wonder what might be in store for them.

Can't duck the projects!

With the reinforcement of the underdeck completed, it was
time to repair the gelcoat cracking at the base of the
cockpit coaming.

The right tools, fillers and paint were not available,
so I did the best I could with what I had.

Epoxy filler

Painting after sanding the filler.

This will have to do until I'm back.

Part of the preventive maintenance:  cleaning the raw
water strainers for the watermaker and the raw water intake
for the engine.

Pretty easy job for once.

I started refinishing the second pair of galley locker doors.

New varnish on the aft cabin grab handle.
Oils and acids from the skin eventually wreck 
the finish, so it has to be redone periodically.

Refinishing some of the trim around the settee

I took the cushion covers to a dry cleaners for
cleaning and a zipper replacement.  Quite the
mess in saloon right now.

Sometimes getting up early has its rewards.




No comments:

Post a Comment