Disasters Averted

This week was mostly about coping:  threats from a couple of hurricanes, a phone left in a taxi, a windlass motor that couldn't be freed from the shaft and a microwave that died.  Fortunately, in the end everything worked out fine.  The potential disaster of losing my phone was avoided thanks in a large part to the kindness and generosity of the Mexican people.  When I went to the yacht club to see if they would keep an eye out for the taxi if he returned with my phone, they ended up making several phone calls on my behalf, called my phone repeatedly and even offered to drive me back to where I had gotten the taxi.  When I did go back, the young man who calls the taxis remembered me, told me the taxi I had taken was there and led me over.  The taxi driver saw us coming, opened the back door, laughed, and pointed into the cab.  There was my phone, wedged between the door and the seat.  The driver took me back to the yacht club, and we had a nice, if simple, conversation in Spanish on the way.  He ended up inviting me to his home to meet his family and gave me his phone number.  Amazing!

Things Seen Around Here

 Coffee on board at sunrise

Sushi and a mango smoothie for lunch

Happy hour at the yacht club

Resident parrots at Paradise Village

Pretty, but noisy

Iguana does de Niro:  "Are YOU talkin' to ME?!"

Sunset on the beach





Work Projects

A lot of time, effort and thought went into
the continuing struggle to remove the
windlass motor from the shaft.

Starting with the maker's suggestions, I tried a variety
of treatments to try to free it up.

Luckily I had the perfect lab squirt bottle to get the liquids
into the right place in some very tight quarters.

The recommended technique was to use a strap
wrench like this to twist the motor on the shaft.

The normal use for these wrenches is to twist off filters.
Even using a half inch socket wrench handle, I couldn't
put enough torque on the motor to budge it.

I came up with a clever way to apply much greater torque
using some Dyneema line and a big pry bar/screw driver.
(Photo taken after the motor was finally removed.)

Even the added torque wasn't enough to move the motor.
The last resort suggested by the maker (and used by
The Commuter Cruiser, an experienced and published
 cruising author with the identical problem) is to separate
the top cap from the rest of the motor and then saw it
apart to get it off the shaft.

I wanted to avoid having to cut, so I gave it some thought 
for a couple of days .  I finally came up with the idea of 
trying  to use nuts and bolts as miniature jacks to push 
the motor down and off the shaft.  The deck was 
very thick and strong at the windlass, so I knew it 
could take the pressure.

Using small needle-nose vice grips to hold the bolt head
on the bottom, I rotated the lower of the two nuts on top, 
pushing up on the top nut and forcing the motor down, 
since the deck was essentially immovable.
 
It was awkward working in the cramped space, but little by
little after repeatedly turning the nuts, moving the set-ups
and swapping out the bolts for slightly longer ones as
needed, the motor began to move down.

Here you get a better view of the set-up.  Large nuts fit
loosely over the bolts and can move further than 
smaller nuts before needing a longer bolt.  At this point 
the motor has been forced down more than 1/4 inch 
(the shiny section of the shaft).

After more than a day of going through the process 
repeatedly, the motor finally dropped off the shaft.

Hurray!  Off in one piece and in the hands
of a local motor repair guru.

Out with the old.  After a few years of service in the 
marine environment, my microwave gave up the ghost. 
I suspect it might have been pushed to an early death by 
current irregularities in Barra de Navidad, which is where
 it started showing signs of imminent failure.

In with the new.  At the local Walmart, I found a Whirlpool 
microwave that was the right size and looked okay.
Interestingly, the control labels are all in Spanish.

Some more wood in the aft cabin sanded and masked
in preparation for spraying.  (It had a few blemishes
from getting splashed when the nearby port had been
left open.)

Sprayed.

Like new again.

Weather

Hurricane Aletta offshore while another tropical
depression forms further south.

One computer model showed that the second storm,
now named Bud, could be coming quite close.

At one point there was close to a 40% chance that what 
had become hurricane Bud would bring storm force
 (39 mph) winds to the area.

Bud grew to a category 4 hurricane, and advisories were
issued.

Fortunately, Bud remained far enough off shore that
everything remained calm, albeit a bit wet, where I am.

Bud has now moved north and weakened to a
tropical storm headed for Cabo San Lucas.
But there is yet another tropical depression to the
south that seems likely to develop into another
storm or hurricane.

My preparations for possibly strong winds included
removing the awnings and other canvas, adding dock lines, 
clearing the decks, and securing the sails.


Mainsail secured with heavy line.

With a very high tide and perhaps some surge 
from the storms, the dock was only about
a foot below the sea wall.  The pilings that
anchor the docks had about 4 feet left above water.

A Little Surprise

Still lots of flowers around!


No comments:

Post a Comment