Ensenada: Finishing the Big Move

It took almost eleven days to get Circadian back together after she arrived in Ensenada.  It was exhausting, but I got it done with only minor problems.  As soon as I was "done," I left on the first good-weather day for San Diego.  Here's the story:

As soon as it arrived from San Carlos, the truck with
 Circadian was waiting outside Baja Naval
at first light.


The only problem along the way was multiple flat tires,
probably caused by the heat in Baja.

Once Baja Naval opened, things happened fast!  As soon
as the truck pulled in, the Travelift got the boat and
put her in the water and the mast was put on movable 
stands.  I had to immediately move Circadian into
her slip to free-up access to the Travelift dock.

In the slip for the next ten days while I put Circadian
back together.  No mast!

From my slip I could watch the cruise ship dock almost
every morning.

On the other side freighters loaded and unloaded.

On the nearby malecon, there was always something 
happening.  This  show was part of a week-long 
arts festival.

This egret was a regular.  It fished every morning
from this shore power cord, which, conveniently, 
slowly lowered the bird to the water and lifted it up
again as the boat moved.  It was effective, and the 
bird got a lot of fish.

This black-crowned heron seemed to like
watching me next door as I worked on
the boat.

It took about three days to get the mast ready to be 
re-stepped.  Because the crew at Marina Seca failed to
label the rigging wires, I had to sort out the puzzle.
Much of the running rigging had to be sorted out too.
Then all the rigging as well as the radar antenna 
had to be remounted.

Once the mast was prepped, the crane was called.
Once again, when it arrived a couple of day later,
things happened fast!

Once the mast was back on the
boat, I had to get the sails back
up.  When the messenger line
for hoisting the jib broke,
I had to climb the mast to
replace it with a stronger line.
The lump at the top of the mast
is me.

It really wasn't that much fun.  While up there,
I also checked the anchor light LED because it
wasn't working despite checking out when the mast
was down.  It was secure, but it and the steaming
light still aren't working.  A project for later.

It took two days, but I finally got both sails up.

Once the sails were up, the Baja Naval crew
tensioned and tuned the rig.

While waiting for the mast to be stepped,
I made new davit lines to replace the old
and failing ones.  I used dyneema, so
they should be more durable.  Turns out
that single braid dyneema is pretty easy
to splice.

I didn't have time to do much site-seeing, but saw a few
interesting things in the course of running errands and
going into town for lunch.

This old anchor displayed on the malecon near my slip
was found off of Santa Rosalia and came from a
19th century French ship carrying copper ore.  
See my Santa Rosalia post to learn about the history 
of copper mining there by a French company.

The Plaza of the Revolution was right in front of Baja Naval.
Big busts of revolutionary heroes and Ensenada's famous
huge flag are proudly on display.

Two blocks from the malecon is the main tourist street
that has lots of restaurants and shops catering to tourists.
I by chance decided to eat at El Rey Sol and discovered
it was an excellent French restaurant.  

There is always music of course, and it was fun to see
this ol' gal rockin' out and having a good time.


Oxxo is the Mexican equivalent of 7-11 stores in the US.
But Mexico has more Oxxo stores than Carter's got pills.
It has become a running joke among cruisers when 
giving directions to say "It's right near the Oxxo,"
because they are everywhere.  This is about the
closest together I've seen them:  about 150 yards!


And of course, the church.  Big, but not
especially beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment