May 24, 2010

Again, not much done this week because I spent two long days hauling and surveying my now former boat in order to complete her sale and transfer her to her to new owners. I had to spend another day installing a new kitchen faucet and waiting for a plumber to look at some more serious and challenging plumbing problems at the house.

Nonetheless, I did manage to drive around and get some needed supplies as well as drill and epoxy-fill oversize holes in the new engine hatch cover/cockpit sole for mounting the helm seat. Smaller holes to fit the fasteners will be drilled in the cured epoxy, resulting in a ring of epoxy around the fastener that will prevent any moisture from penetrating the plywood core (see Bryan's comment last week -May 18). I also made a plywood backing block to stiffen the area below the mount since my entire body weight will be swinging around on the end of a two-foot long lever against the mount. As the picture shows, the right position for the helm seat base also happily overlapped the cross brace. If I can get the right fasteners locally, I should be able to have the mount in place and the inside trim pieces and fiberglasss sound insulation completed during the week, allowing me to bring the completed cover to Circadian next weekend. That would be sweet, but of course that's a big if....

2 comments:

  1. Bryan the SaltyMonkeyMay 24, 2010 at 4:22 PM

    Captain George:

    I have one comment reading and thinking about your helm seat install over last week and this evening. This is by no means a criticism of your fantastic work, just something that came to my mind should I ever put one in for myself. You might have thought of this as well.

    Since helm seats easily come and go - either warn out or because i misjudged the original comfort position or they become unserviceable or because I get fat eating too much BBQ and might need a larger one - I may want to mount the pedestal base on a platform/block instead of directly on the deck. This way if I get a new improved seat that needs to be adjusted back or forward, I wont have to fill and drill any new holes in the deck to align this to a new dimension that is comfortable for my girth and peace of mind. I just have to get a new wooden platform block to mount the pedestal.

    Layered like this:

    Seat
    Pedestal bolted onto
    Wood Block which is bolted through
    Deck
    Backing plate

    The wood block will also keep the deck from getting scratched up from a metal pedestal base if indeed it is metal.

    hmmm i dunno...just a thought for SaltyMonkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thinking, but I have the issue covered: The pedastal mount is designed to allow about 6 inches of adustment forward and backward while still being rigidly strong. When I put it all together I'll shoot some pics to illustrate. I viewed this as a permanent installation, so wasn't concerned about the area under the mount. Besides, why worry about scratches when you're drilling holes? Also, unless you use teak for your wood block, it will rot.

    ReplyDelete