December 15, 2011

Now that the most urgent tasks of settling into my new home are largely completed, the focus has again shifted to boat projects.  With an overwhelming number of potential projects, I needed to decide on a focus to avoid scattered efforts.  Since it’s winter and could rain any time, obviously the emphasis would be on interior work.  That also made sense in light of the tight restrictions on boat work in the marina.  Until I make real friends of my neighbors, discretion would be the better part of valor in that regard.  Since I am now living aboard full time, I decided to start with projects that improved the livability of Circadian. 

To that end, this week’s big project was the installation of a microwave oven.  That entailed some cabinetry and wiring work, as well as the challenge of pre-Christmas shopping for the appliance itself.  I wanted a microwave that was relatively low wattage so it wouldn’t overwhelm the circuitry, it needed to fit the available space, and it would be nice if it looked decent.  A name brand would be preferred, too.  I ended up with a 700 watt GE that fit the bill pretty well.  Once the microwave was installed and working, I needed to be able to secure the door to the forward cabin v-berth in the closed position and out of the way of my new appliance.  I cut and shaped a block of teak to receive the pin from a brass barrel bolt and installed the new barrel bolt.

In the good news/bad news department, I got a call from Lighthouse mfg, the maker of my windlass, only a few days after I had returned the motor to them for repair.  The good news was that they had cured the motor problem and repairs would be covered under warranty (even tho it was 10 months beyond the written warranty period).  The bad news was that they had determined that a faulty seal in the winch part of the windlass had allowed grease to get onto the commutator of the motor, which is what was causing the slow starting.  I would need to return the winch portion of the windlass to them so they could replace the seal.  Dismounting the windlass was relatively straightforward, since I had installed it only about 18 months before.  I decided to remove the chain clutch and gypsy as well as the rope drum from the gearbox to reduce the shipping weight.  Even without them, the winch was very heavy – 40 or50 pounds.  Figuring out how to pack the heavy and oddly-shaped hunk of stainless steel for shipping and then doing it was the hardest part of the whole job.  It only took about an hour or so to remove the winch, but it took most of the rest of the day to get it ready for shipping.  

Between projects, I’ve enjoyed walks around the harbor and beaches as well as watching the sunsets.  They’re different from the Delta, but just as spectacular.  A special treat was watching the lunar eclipse.  The sky was crystal clear, and with no lights on the ocean, it was perfect.

One the social side, I’ve started making arrangements to get together with old friends here, and I’m looking forward to visiting the Mt Wilson Observatory with Carol and friends this weekend.  Fortunately, I was able to find a vet who can board my dog while I’m gone.  After all, even a sailor can’t survive on projects alone.













 

6 comments:

  1. So NOW I know what you were working on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...so homey now. Can't believe it. Looks like a bloody house barge in Europe. Sad to see that hole where the windlass is =(

    Is the microwave a convection?

    Last two photos blew my mind. Awesome sky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, SM. No, the microwave is just an ordinary microwave. But it does have an automatic turntable for even heating.

    Tearing out and packing up something like that windlass is a real PITA. It's ironic and disappointing that the two most expensive and top-rated items I've gotten for the boat both had out-of-the-box defects. At least the response from both makers was all you could ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I just noticed in your pictures that your port holes look like they have stained glass.

    What an awesome home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes the microwave is awesome, especially because to turn it on will be a little easier than using the gas stove!

    ReplyDelete