December 29, 2011

Last post of the year.  Amazing.  It was a mixed week. On the plus side, I got an outhaul rigged for the main, got hot and cold pressure water to the aft head, successfully applied a test section of teak veneer to the head cabin wall, got the repaired windlass back from the maker (gratis), and found the used turning blocks I had purchased were in good shape.  On the negative side, I spent two days in a futile effort to stop the leaks in the ancient shower mixing valve, and the packing gland for the main head pump handle shaft continued to leak.  I haven't given up on either, however.  Today I retightened the head's packing gland nut and it's been okay for an hour or so.  We'll see what happens after using it a few times.  After solving the mystery of how to disassemble the mixing valve and replacing all the o-rings with the closest sizes I could find locally, there's nothing more I can do here.  I will email the maker in England to see if they still have parts for the 38-year-old unit, and, if not, if they can supply a new unit that can mount on the bulkhead in a similar configuration.  The problem is exacerbated by the very limited space available around the sink.  If there were more counter space available, it would be a simple matter to install a whole new faucet with shower.  Sigh.

Carol and I will  be having New Year's Eve dinner at Channel Islands Yacht Club with my old friend Curt and his bride Mary.  Damned thing requires dressing up, though.  I gave away all my suits and sport coats when I retired, so it was off to the thrift shops to find something to get me through the night.  I found a blue blazer with brass buttons that might look quite yachtie with the ivory sweater obtained at the same thriftshop and my tan shore pants.  Less than 10 bucks for the outfit.  Unfortunately, right now I'm the only healthy one in the whole group; Carol, Curt and Mary are all suffering from colds.  Hopefully they  will feel well enough to have a good time and I won't ring in the new year with their cold!





 









 





2 comments:

  1. Wow, busy week indeed, Capt G.

    Love that new sink! I could take a bath in it.

    Lubly harbor view.

    Happy New year and a good one for you in 2012!! YAY!!! See ya over that rainbow in a few days !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to include a photo of your "new" party outfit. Next week....ok?

    ReplyDelete