June 14, 2012

It was a long and difficult week coping with the agony of having to end my dog's life. In the words of a friend, he had been dealt a difficult hand.  He needed a lot of care, but in everything that he could control, he was a sweetheart.

Coping meant keeping busy: boat work, outrigger racing, sailing, swapmeets and socializing. Kind words and gestures from friends and neighbors helped too. As I begin to recover, I am starting to appreciate not having to arrange my life around the dog's medication and walk schedule: the perennial love vs freedom tradeoff.

The boat work for the last week or two has focused on rebuilding and refinishing the aft hatch and base coaming, and putting in a new head ceiling (headliner?) so I can put in some new LED lighting to replace the faulty/funky one in there now. Both jobs seemed straightforward at the beginning, but both grew and GREW!











































4 comments:

  1. Its good to hear you back. And what a very rich week you've had. Funny, how those smaller looking tasks turn out to be so technical and very educational - from our perspective at least.

    And the rest of the week, how did you find the time for all that? Do you have a twin that looks like you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SM. I really appreciate your hangin' in there through thick and thin!

      Delete
  2. Did you refrain from quoting Darth Vader while wearing your hoody, goggles and dust mask? "Luke..." And thanks for posting all of this, I continue to check here to learn more about the things I may need (hopefully) to do in the future. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JD. I just don't have the right voice for Darth Vader, but I do feel a bit like a Wes Cravens character when I be dust stylin'.

      I'm glad you find my posts worth checking. That means a lot when I question my sanity for taking the time to do it. Hopefully you won't need to do all this stuff, but if you can find a few useful bits to help with whatever you do have to tackle, then it's worthwhile.

      Delete