April 4, 2013

It was one of those weeks when the accomplishments don’t seem to reflect the time and effort expended.  That was somewhat the result of being unable to go into the aft cabin once I had laid a coat of varnish on the sole (floor).  I did get the fourth coat of Epifanes Rapid Coat on the sole and sanded, however I took a big gamble when I decided to use the old and thickened remnants of my last can of Ultimate Sole floor finish over it.  (It’s no longer available).  I hope it will fill the grain despite having some lumps and runs to sand down.  Of course it has to cure properly for me to be able to do that, and worrying that it might not will keep me up for the next few nights while I’m at Carol’s.
Since I was kept from the aft cabin by the wet sole, I decided to work on the new cockpit table I’d been contemplating for some time.  I had a left-over piece of teak-and-holly plywood that was big enough, but it was pretty beat up.  If I could salvage it, it would do nicely.  After much sanding, the veneer was looking pretty good, so I bought the necessary pre-milled teak edge molding/fiddles.  Gold is cheaper.  To protect the table surface, I put on a coat of penetrating epoxy followed by three coats of West System epoxy.  Still need to sand it and overcoat it with varnish.  The edge molding has been cut to fit, sanded, sealed with penetrating epoxy and a first coat of varnish applied (sprayed).
I’ve been working very hard outrigger paddling, training for the opening of racing season, hoping I’ll get a seat on the team.   Exhausting, but perversely fun.
My buddy John is a happy sailor this week because he finally got the West Wight Potter he’s wanted and it wasn’t a stolen boat this time (but that’s another story).  He now has six sailboats of various sizes.  I would say that qualifies him as an addict.














1 comment:

  1. Never understood the WWP. Too slow to go anywhere, and not large enough to take a bath in.

    Nice work this week. Wondering how u are thinning your varnishing w/ layers. Whats the secret.

    Flower time!

    ReplyDelete