January 16, 2014

Continued working on the overhead and made a good start on the trim.  Based on what I was able to source, the trim will be a mixture of jatoba, teak, mahogany and cherry.  When stained and finished, it will all match.  It's challenging making the precise cuts with only hand tools.  I did have to hire my shipwright neighbor to do some ripping and milling that required a table saw and jointer.  With about $100 invested in one board, I measured more than twice before I cut it. Thankfully, it fit perfectly.  Even with only some of the unfinished trim in place, the boat is looking more like I want it to...very heartening!
I have to cover all the backing plates and bolts for all the chainplates on the cabin side before I can complete the overhead trim, so I started on that.  It's a tricky three-dimensional puzzle to make covers that fit precisely. Check back to see how it goes!






















2 comments: