January 23, 2014

Well, I finally got the last panel mounted for the overhead in the main cabin.  Still not quite perfect due to the scrapes and bending required to get it in place, but nothing very noticeable.  Most of the effort this week was continuing the work I had started last week on mahogany covers for all the chainplate backing plates and mounting bolts.  With two of five completed (except for varnish work), my three-dimensional stick pattern methodology has proven good:  both fit perfectly.  It takes care, but it works.
Of course one thing always leads to another, and before I can mount the chainplate covers, I need to refinish the existing trim and handrail while they are still accessible.  So I've started on that too. With three more covers to make and two in the process of finishing, I see multitasking in my future!


















5 comments:

  1. My new boat words (and concept): chain plate covers.
    I always thought the chain plates would always be visible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chainplates will always be visible; they are the metal bars bolted to the outside of the cabin (in this case) to which the shrouds are secured. The covers are inside the cabin and cover the bolts and backing plates that secure the chainplates.

      Delete
  2. They should be visible, so you can see if they are damaged or sweating. I hope these are easily removable, else its just cosmetic baboonery.

    too many cosmetics doesn't equate to cruising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, what sharp readers I have!! You are absolutely right, the chainplates, backing plates and bolts should be easy to inspect. The covers will be easily removable. I have a plan; stay tuned!

      Delete