September 17, 2014

Sadly, Carol's father passed away this week at age 90.  I will be getting on a plane tomorrow morning to join her and her family in Des Moines for the memorial services.
Being a shorter work week, this will be a shorter post.  In addition to continuing to refinish the stern rail, I spent quite a bit of time doing physical therapy for my back problems, preparing for the trip, and researching and buying a bit of gear and the supplies I need to do the 750 hour engine service on the Beta.  Stimulated by some challenging questions from a dockmate, I went in search of a stainless steel shackle that was proof tested and its safe working load stamped on the shackle.  I wanted stainless because it will be used on my cast stainless Danforth and will have a large contact area.  I finally found one through Certex, a local rigging company.  It had to be ordered from the maker (Suncor Stainless) and was shockingly expensive when all the shipping and special order charges were included.  Still, it's cheap peace of mind knowing it will be part of my heavy anchor gear.
















1 comment: