October 29, 2015

Several small projects kept me busy this week.  I continued touching up and refinishing the exterior wood, and took care of a small issue with the turnbuckles on the forestay.  I also scored an unusual Rocna anchor to replace my current one.  (Found on Craigslist.)  When I bought my 25 kg (55 lb) Rocna, I had really wanted something about 66 lbs, but the next size up was a 33 kg (72 lbs), which was a bit too big.  So, I settled for the 25, which would be fine under most conditions.  The one I just got is a 30 kg, which hasn’t been made in quite a while.  Not only is it the size I really wanted, but because it is an early Rocna, it was actually made in New Zealand, not China like they are now.  It’s in perfect shape too, having only been used only a couple of times.  I sold my 25 to a new friend heading to Mexico, so it cost me a reasonable $100 net to upgrade.  The 25 will be perfect for his Hunter 38.  We are now both waiting for the arrival of the proper shackles and swivels to hook up the new anchors.  
Just talked to my diver about the impact of my encounter with the rock at Catalina Harbor.  Looks like much of the bottom of the keel got scraped and bumped, with a few dings here and there.  Rudder and hull are unscathed.  So, as I anticipated, I'll have some glass and epoxy work to do on the bottom of the keel next time I haul out.  Still, a good week! 
















2 comments:

  1. As you might expect I love the last part of your post this week...especially the ant hills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The anthills are round. Can you get them in square?

    ReplyDelete