March 24, 2016

Big news this week:  The final connector arrived and I completed the single sideband installation and tested the radio.  It works!!  That was a big relief because both the radio and the automatic antenna tuner had been bought used.  And the counterpoise appears to be adequate, although it will take more testing to be sure.  After programming in 48 frequencies, I was able to receive a weather forecast from the Coast Guard station at Pt. Reyes, a distance of about 500 miles, and heard the weatherfax signal from Hawaii.  My voice transmission was heard 'load and clear' by another boat about 100 yards down the dock. And, I finally managed to navigate the maze of the FCC website so I could get the required radio station license, which includes a new international MMSI number for my Personal Locater Beacon and AIS.  Cost $215.  The good part was I received an electronic version of the license that gave me my call sign via email within 12 hours.  Pretty good for government!
On the less glamorous side, I built and added a small shelf under the sink where I had installed the foot pump last week.  It's a nice little improvement that increases storage and makes things a bit neater.
Spring has definitely arrived in Ventura, with wildflowers in full bloom and strong afternoon winds.











No comments:

Post a Comment