Stuck in Paradise

My departure has been delayed due to some unfavorable conditions.  In the meantime, I've finished getting the boat ready to go, reconnected with returning friends, enjoyed watching the supermoon, and agonized over the loses suffered by my friends in Ventura from a devastating fire.  But they are strong and will support one another and move on.

The supermoon rising over the mangroves behind my boat




Sunrise the next morning

Friends have come back for the season.  Jay and Terri, Mark and Stephanie
and another couple having drinks at the Vallarta Yacht Club.

The first weekly farmers' market of the season in Paradise Village



Funny and tempting, but I didn't buy it.

Funny, but not tempting

I did buy a new wallet, however.

Close to needing a new one, I suppose

When I emerged from Walmart after picking up few necessities,
I was surprised to find this in the lot.  RVs, sure. 
But a cruise ship?!

After my shopping I stopped for lunch at one of my favorites:
Barra Light in Plaza Neptuno.  Grilled chicken on a bagel with
salad and drink:  about $6.50.

On the way back from this week's Home Depot run,
I stopped in Nuevo Vallarta.  This is looking toward
Paradise Village (where my boat is) across the harbor.

Lunch at Eddies in Nuevo Vallarta:  chicken mole tacos. 
Yummy!

This diagram shows swell height and direction.
While it's not big, it's coming straight into the coves
I would need to anchor in.  Not good.
Uncomfortable at best; dangerous at worst.
Been this way for several days, delaying my
departure for Barra de Navidad.

This is the forecast for a week from today.
Much more favorable.  So, I have time for
more projects and a bit of fun.

Getting the boat ready for sea.  Removing awnings
and covers, putting things back and securing them,
and checking sails and running rigging.

One of the issues uncovered when checking electronics was
a faulty autopilot.  It would only turn left.  Couldn't leave
until it was working.  It took two days and two calls to the
maker to track down the problem:  a loose cable connection
at the junction box.  Probably knocked loose when I reinforced
the adjacent underdeck, once again proving that no good deed
goes unpunished.

With the delay in departing, I had time to install the new
galvanic isolator I brought back from the states.  It should
reduce the frequent need to replace the sacrificial zinc on
the propeller shaft caused by being in a 'hot' marina.

The biggest event of the week was up in my hometown of Ventura.
A raging inferno destroyed much of the beloved city.  Many of
my friends were evacuated, at least one nearly lost her home.
The switchback trail above the "L" in the photo went through
what was the new botanical park, now ashes.  Carol and I enjoyed
many a walk up there.  The building is city hall. 
Very sad, and it's not over yet.

A small corner of the fire area is shown in the upper left.
My Mini is stored in an open lot at the green X, only
about 6 miles away.  It's okay so far, but that could change.

Gotta appreciate the small things.

1 comment: