January 12, 2019

It was a typical week in harbor:  some indolence, some photography, some fun with friends, some nice sunsets and of course the inevitable boat projects.

When my neighbors took off for a week, this guy decided
their dock was a good place to hang out for a while.

He didn't stick around long, tho.

This little dove, however, found my boat
quite attractive in the mornings.

It came to visit several times...

...and got a little braver each time.

With my dinghy outboard on the fritz, I rowed around the
marina a bit to explore, and found these American 
oystercatchers  hanging around an unused dock.
 


The oystercatchers shared the dock with some black-
necked stilts.  Easy to see how they got the name!

Feeling a bit more ambitious a few days later, I tried
rowing up the Estero Sabalo.  But there was so much
development along the estuary that my expectations
of seeing much wildlife were minimal.

I did find a more promising small side channel and
rowed a half mile to the end only to discover it was
surrounded by a golf course.

Nonetheless, I was able to find a few birds,
including this tricolored heron.

Herons are always skittish, and this one was no
exception.  He took off soon after I stalked close enough
to take the previous photo.

I saw only two yellow-crowned herons; no
sign of nest-building yet and no tree iguanas.




There were also a few American Coots, which I did not
see so much further south in Puerto Vallarta or 
Barra de Navidad.
 
 
Although the boat is not near any great beaches, there were still
some pretty nice sunsets in the marina.



This is the view from the stage at Diego's.  No wonder
Curt likes to play there!

El Aljibe de San Pedro: great cuisine, good 
drinks, and impeccable service in the unique 
setting of an unusually-decorated 19th century
cistern!


Boat Work


Restoring the brightwork around the forward
companionway that had been damaged by
the air-conditioner during two summers 
of use.

This is one of the brackets I made to hold the big cast
stainless steel Danforth anchor on the cabin top.
After a few years of good service, they had become
a bit of an eyesore, so I decided to do something.

Rather than going to all the work of stripping and
building up many coats of Cetol, I decided to paint
them and renew the caulking.

They look good, blend in with the cabin top and should
remain in good shape for at least a couple of years.

The Cetol brightwork around one of the cockpit lockers
was starting to show signs of degradation, so I sanded
and refinished it before it became a big job.
 

And finally, the troublesome dinghy outboard.
Initial indications pointed to a stuck 
carburetor float.  I freed it up by banging
on the carb and spraying in some carb
cleaner.  It ran for a while, then only
with the choke on, then not at all.
Time for a carb rebuild, which may be
pretty involved due to the inability
to get US Yamaha parts in Mexico.
Stay tuned for further developments....

No comments:

Post a Comment