New Motor, Shiny Boat and More Birds

The big event this week was the arrival of my new outboard.  It took a month, so it was a big moment!  It's a very simple little 2 horsepower, 2-cycle.  Doesn't even have a transmission, so when you start it, the boat goes.  Makes things a little tricky, but I've adjusted already.  It's a bit noisier than the old 3 hp, but it seems to move the dinghy just as well.  And it's significantly lighter, which is good.  I had a few difficulties flushing it with fresh water until I finally gave in and did what the manual said to do:  remove the propeller first.  Sigh.
In my first trips with the new motor, I explored further up the estuary.  In fact I went all the way to the end where it became a large culvert.  That's where a guard told me I couldn't be there, couldn't fish and couldn't even take pictures.  So I left.  No matter.  I got plenty of good photos (below) and didn't see anything there I hadn't seen elsewhere.  I worked on photographing birds in flight and have settled on an effective technique.  I came back with more good shots than I expected.  
I also took care of a couple of boat maintenance items this week:  checking the connections on the transmission linkage and getting the hull buffed and waxed.  Everything is now in pretty good shape for once!  (Unless of course, I'm unaware of something!)

The new outboard motor arrived!

Mounted on the dinghy

The great dock crash of 2016 was caused by a couple
of loose screws securing the transmission cables, so
I wanted to check them even though I had secured
them with silicon glue after the crash.

These were the culprits.  Secure now.

I hired Raul Senior and Junior to buff and wax the hull.

They and another helper spent 4 hours getting
her dazzling.  All for about $100!  
Needless to say, I was very happy!

Heading up the estuary using the new outboard.

A sandbar appears at low tide.  Good spot to find
herons, willets, and oyster-catchers.

This mudflat is exposed only at low tide.  At higher tides
I've rowed into it, but I ran aground this time at the spot
where the photo was taken.  Can you see the willet on 
right?

The birds are often well camouflaged and seem to know
exactly where to position themselves to make it most
effective.  Can you see the tricolor heron?

How about now?

This blue heron is almost invisible on the rocks.

See it dead center?

To make the camouflage work, they will remain very
still until you get too close, then they flee, usually
squawking bloody murder.

If their freedom of movement is restricted because
they are in the mangroves, they take off sooner,
like this tricolored heron is doing.

Black-crowned heron taking off.

Tricolored heron





Yellow-crowned heron flies by a tricolored heron.

Willet poking around for dinner.

Osprey looking very majestic

American oyster-catcher scratches an itch while the
tricolored heron eyes me with suspicion.  There's
also a willet in between in the background.

Two oyster-catchers and a heron.

The tricolored heron is starting to get 
nervous, but hasn't taken flight.

Tricolored heron strikes a pose in the
light of the sunset.

Black-crowned heron

Black-crowned heron fledgling

Two herons and three egrets on a semi-sunken old barge
at the end of the estuary, where I got busted.

A closer look (without the tricolored heron)

Two old coots acting like love birds

One place I don't like to see a lot of birds.

Tree iguana

Rock iguana

Unusual cloud formation just before
the wind kicked up and rain threatened,
but didn't materialize.

The resulting nice sunset behind Circadian

The big view of the same sunset

Flowers growing out the rip-rap rocks at the marina.

Interesting approach to getting men to aim better.

No comments:

Post a Comment