La Paz to Isla San Francisco

When I left La Paz I thought I might make a short run to Isla Espiritu Santos, but the weather said "no," so I went straight to Isla San Francisco.  It was an all-day run, but easy.  And I'd been to Isla Espiritu Santos before, so it wasn't a disappointment.  Here's the story of my visit to Isla San Francisco:

Leaving La Paz:  Marina Cortez directly behind me.
The somewhat less than epic video


There's a lot of ship/ferry traffic outside of La Paz, so 
you need to pay attention.   This one is anchored, so
no worries!  (Thank you AIS!)

This is the Mazatlán/La Paz ferry, coming through the
narrow Canal de San Lorenzo.

Approaching Isla San Francisco

Coming into the cove

Dropping the hook



Circadian from the beach on one side of the
isthmus between two coves

Home!  (At least for a couple of days....)

One of my new neighbors

Nice and quiet!

This is not an island.  It's the hills on one side of the
isthmus separating it from the main part of the island.
I came to think of the formation as "Lady in Repose>"

In the light of the sunset it becomes clearer why...

If not, this should help.

I took the dinghy ashore to explore a bit and check out
the more popular cove on the other side of the isthmus.

  

Looking back toward the cove where Circadian
is anchored from the ridge trail on "Lady
in Repose."


Looking toward the cove

Natural salt pond in the middle of the isthmus





The larger, more popular cove.  It was more exposed to prevailing wind
when I arrived, so I elected to anchor in the other one.

Main cove, left, isthmus, my cove right.

Main cove from ridge trail


Part of the ridge trail.  Photos can't show the precipitous drop
on the left, but it's quite dramatic and a bit treacherous.

A few blooms starting to happen.


This is a virtual duplicate of the photo on the cover of the
standard cruising guide to the Sea of Cortez.  The perfect
deserted crescent white-sand beach.

The landscape is always fantastic, and the scale always
incomprehensible.

Sand dune on the isthmus

Up early for my next passage.....

No comments:

Post a Comment