Caleta San Juanico (La Ramada)

Caleta San Juanico is a popular spot with cruisers because it is picturesque, offers good shelter from northerly winds, good hiking, and some shelter from southerlies.  When I arrived winds were south east, so I first checked out the south part of the cove.  While it would be possible to stay there, it would be rough and certainly not relaxing.  I decided to check out La Ramada, a cove around the point north of San Juanico that looked well protected from southeast winds.  On the way I saw a couple of boats anchored in the exposed northern bites of San Juanico, toughing it out.  Was it because there was no room in La Ramada, a small cove?  It was with a bit of nervousness that I made my way around the corner, hoping I would be able to find a spot La Ramada.  As I rounded the point, I saw, much to my relief and delight, there was only one small cabin cruiser deep in the shallows of the cove, and the cove was very calm and peaceful.  I spent two easy nights there despite some pretty strong southerly and westerly winds.  On the second night, three more boats came in, so it was a little tight, but nothing worrisome.  In between I hiked across the pass to San Juanico and back toward the highway in search of mythical obsidian.  No luck, but still a worthwhile day.  Next stop:  Bahia Concepcion....

Southeasterly winds made all the usual
spots in San Juanico less than inviting,
so I went around to La Ramada,
which seemed it would be well sheltered
from southeast wind.

Clear, calm water in La Ramada cove

Peaceful, uncrowded and also protected from the
westerlies expected overnight.

Looking through 25 feet of water at the bottom of the
boat.  Curved rudder visible on the right.  Blue bottom
paint makes it tough to see.

Dinghy on the empty white-sand beach at the head of the 
cove.

The road that leads from La Ramada over the pass to 
Caleta San Juanico and joins the road to Highway 1.

Looking toward Caleta San Juanico.

A small salt flat lies between La Ramada and Caleta
San Juanico.  The dramatic rocks are part of the
appeal of San Juanico.

Looking south from the beach at Caleta San Juanico




Clear turquoise water


Small fish literally swimming at your feet.  Just need
to be careful not to accidently step on a stingray.

According to the Cruiser's Guidebook, the road out 
to Highway 1 was supposedly littered with
obsidian.  Not a single piece seen.  I suspect the authors
confused obsidian with ordinary volcanic lava type rock,
which could be found in abundance.

However, the saguaro were in bloom,
which provided some compensation.


And despite the lack of obsidian, the rock formations
were quite unusual and dramatic.






Just as I was feeling miles from anywhere and anyone,
I came upon this.  It turned out to be the path
to a ranch owned by a man named Jose whom 
I met as he was leaving to drive into the nearest
town to get water.  

Jose's ranch reflected lots of care and pride of
ownership.  He even had a peacock!
He asked me (in Spanish, of course) if everything
was okay, and then invited me to look around
while he was gone.  (Mi casa es su casa!)
I thanked him, but told him it was getting hot
and I was going back to my boat in La Ramada
Love the friendliness, trust and hospitality of
Mexicans!

No comments:

Post a Comment