Honeymoon Cove

Honeymoon Cove is a lovely spot on Isla Danzante, only about 4 miles from Puerto Escondido.  But it's a world away in most ways.  When I headed there from Puerto Escondido, there were several other boats leaving at the same time, and I anticipated I might have a bit of trouble finding a spot to anchor in the popular, but small, cove.   I was pleasantly surprised when I found only one other boat there and it left in about an hour, so I had the whole place to myself.  Soon I found out why:  the wind reversed and had to quickly pull up the anchor and move to the south cove.  It turned out to be perfectly safe despite some gusty winds wrapping around the point.  I did get up often during the night to make sure I hadn't drifted into danger, but all was fine.  I enjoyed the clear turquoise water, beautiful landscape and interesting rock formations, but headed on the next day intending to stop at Puerto Ballandra.  But that's another story....

With a light breeze out of the north in morning, I anchored
in the north cove along with one other boat.

Unfortunately, the wind reversed and increased, and I found
myself dangerously close to the rocks that previously had
been at a safe distance (see above photo).

Safely tucked into the little south cove and sheltered
from the southerly wind.

I took the dinghy ashore for a little
exploring.

A "secret" mushroom rock.  This one for some reason
never got the fame that el hongo did in Balandra 
near La Paz.

Circadian from the mushroom rock

While it would have been nice to be able to anchor
deeper in the cove, it's too shallow.  (The lighter
color indicates the shallow water.)




Looking toward the north cove where I had
originally anchored.


Another interesting rock formation.  Looks like an
arrowhead from this angle.

Same rock from the opposite side.
Reminds me of Rodin's "Balzak."

My only company while I was in the cove

I saw a couple  of these guys in the tidepools, but
don't know what they are.


Watching the sun go down on the hills.





No comments:

Post a Comment