September 27, 2012

Although I discovered that the spare shower sump pump I installed still leaks, I decided that repair could wait and started work on the starboard side of the aft cabin. I worked on the wiring (all to ABYC standards), then got in some of the framing and the first few strips of oak.  Wednesday evening I rejoined the crew of Paloma after my hernia hiatus for the final Wet Wednesday race.  We took first place, which was nice.  I'm sure my excellent work as rail meat made all the difference.  Thanks to Craig for the race photos!



















3 comments:

  1. A gluey week indeed but glad you won.

    Is it possible to take some small tubing and run your wires through it - to reduce chafe and moisture? Similar to small pvc piping

    Adventurous nature shots - flowers are very detailed this week. Love the bee, but the rabbit won my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SM: While it would be possible to run wires through tubing for the section in the photo, most of the wire runs through spaces that are too tight for that. Moreover, it would be a great deal of work and offer no real advantage. The boat cable I used covers two insulated wires with a jacket of tough waterproof insulation and the cable is secured against chafe every 6-12 inches (ABYC standards are 18 inches). It's the terminal ends that are most subject to corrosion from moisture, so I use heat-shrink adhesive terminals. Spraying the bus and terminals with a wax-like corrosion protection helps too. In a metal boat, especially aluminum, running wire inside plastic conduit is a good idea. A small stray current in an aluminum boat could quickly lead to catastrophic hull failure. Running wire in plastic conduit is a lot more workable in new construction.

      Nothing cuter than a bunny wabbit, eh? Bees, not so much.

      Delete
  2. Nice bunny Capt G! Most appreciated and made my monkey saturday!

    ReplyDelete