October 4, 2012

With autumn undeniably here, I'm in a race to get the long oak strips stored on deck turned into battens for the aft cabin and out of the rain, since I have no inside storage space large enough for them.  As long as we don't get unusually early rains, I should be okay.  The starboard cabin side is now covered with oak battens and the stringers have been bonded in place on the overhead and hull side around the starboard quarterberth.  Everything is painted too.  Next steps are to make a pattern for the overhead panel, cut the panel, install the reading light and switch, and mount the panel.  Next I need to cut and install the foam-core insulation on the hull side.  After that I can start fabricating, finishing, and installing the long oak battens along the berth.  I'll also continue varnishing the grab handle and mahagony trim. With both Carol and my buddy John out of town, I don't have any good excuses for slacking....















4 comments:

  1. My new word for the day: kerf.
    Why say slice or cut when you can say kerf!
    Love the red bougainvilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red bougies, but mushrooms are a sign that rain is coming! Hurry up Capt G!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally wouldn't have given any credence to such an old wive's tale, but there is actually rain in the forecast for Wednesday and Thursday! Fortunately it's only scattered showers (30% chance), so I think I can adequately protect my wood with plastic tarps. I hope the mushroom population doesn't mushroom any time soon!

      Delete
  3. SaltyMonkeys statistics book and runes predict:

    30% rail will fall ONLY on Capt G's boat
    70% sun everyplace else!

    Mushroons will grow in boat!

    YAY!

    ReplyDelete