Fixing the Boat in an Exotic Place

It will be a short post this week partly because I'm worn out from a lot of nasty work and boat yoga, and partly because most folks will find what I've been doing pretty boring. Needless to say, the old saw “Cruising is the art of fixing your boat in exotic places” is no longer a joke for me. For the last nine days I've been obsessively focused on repairing the damage from the great La Paz dock crash. It's been a cycle of grinding, laying up glass and trying to find some pretty esoteric materials locally and in Spanish. The short of it is, it's happening and I'd say I'm about 70% of the way there. But it hasn't been easy.  You can get some idea of the repair progress from the pictures.  If any of you actually want more technical detail, please ask in a comment.
Did I mention Tourista? Good; I won't.









2 comments:

  1. Wow. I've been anxiously awaiting the latest report and am relieved to see you've found a well formed solution, if not a patient one. It looks like you cut out more of the hole too.

    Keep us posted and best luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Lonehort, a Salar 40, in Ireland. So sad to hear of your mishap; gear cables have a mind of their own sometimes. Your repairs look very impressive so congratulations on them. We really liked your comment about cruising being the chance to fix your boat in exotic places!! This link should help remind you of why you're doing this is the first place :)

    http://sailinganarchy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/coconut-telegraph-12-10.jpg

    We're off to work tomorrow :(

    Micheal & Helen

    ReplyDelete