More La Paz


It's been kind of a mixed holiday week.   Carol and I had a wonderful Christmas eve dinner at the very elegant Sortis restaurant in La Paz followed by an equally wonderful dinner the next evening on a friend's big luxurious catamaran.  It helped that at least one person in all three couples was a certifiable foodie.  On the down side, the weather has been so bad that we were never able to go explore nearby coves and islands.  The only good weather windows were short and conflicted with our holiday dinners.  The rest of the times it was howling winds.  The other bummer was discovering the cabin sole had flooded after I had refilled the water tank.  I thought I had cured that problem when I rebedded the inspection cover on the water tank back in June, 2015, but apparently now the second plate is leaking.  We spent a whole evening bailing and soaking up the water on and around the tank.  Now everything is ventilating and drying out.  After Carol leaves, I'll rebed the second inspection plate.  Always something.  At least now I've gotten the exhaust anti-siphon loop secured in a way that won't break again. 

On the positive side, I had a second instance of being blown away by the people of Mexico (or at least La Paz):  I had absent-mindedly left my iPhone on a bench on the malecon and not realized it until about a half hour later.  Although I didn't expect to ever see it again and was bummed by the prospects of getting a replacement in Mexico and trying to deal with AT&T, I felt I had to go back and at least try to find it.   I rode my bike the 15 minutes back to the malecon and rode along looking at every bench.  There was my phone in its bright yellow case!!! Just where I had left it in plain view, with people constantly walking by.  Amazing!!!

Well, in the couple of days that Carol will still be here, we decided to just take a cab to Ballandra beach for a picnic on one of the nice days forecast, and then for New Years we will go to a special New Years dinner at Sortis with some dock friends.  A five course dinner there should be quite special!  The next morning might be a bit rough, though....
 



















 

1 comment:

  1. Told ja about the water tanks. And after that collision I'm sure it became more of an issue.

    No more banal door shots.

    Love the supermarket and that warm cozy fire.

    Your phone never would have been stolen. And I'm sure no one picked it up to try and return it because they don't understand English or know how to work an English phone.

    ReplyDelete