Bookstore, Bucerias and Birds

Pretty busy, despite having to spend most afternoons escaping from the heat in the pool or  the air conditioning.  I finally got things moving with the welder and took care of a few other arrangements while I was holed up.  Boat projects have gotten down to routine maintenance, so I've been able to do more exploring and photography.  I went to the used English bookstore in Puerto Vallarta and got more books in anticipation of some rainy days ahead, went for another visit  to Bucerias and revisited the estuary to find a variety of birds with active nests.  The photography was challenging because the nests are usually pretty well hidden in the mangroves, the birds are skittish and it has to be done from a small rocking boat.  Requires a lot of patient stalking and a steady hand.

Exploring

I took the bus into old town Puerto Vallarta and did a lot of walking to get to the south side of town.  I've gotten very comfortable with the buses, and that makes things much easier.  Still, walking is the best way to see things.

Puerto Vallarta is squeezed into a strip between Banderas Bay and the mountains.  The city butts right against the steep hillsides.  This hill is bigger than it looks here and marks the beginning of the mountains.

Making tortillas.

Major find:  a pastry shop!

I found this in the doorway of a small pet supply store.  It says "Don't buy, adopt!"

Bottles recycled Mexican style (in a park).
 
This was the place I wanted to find.  It sells used English and French books and is also a very pleasant café that is right across the street from a park.

Inside A Page in the Sun

The next day I rode my bike into Bucerias.  It wasn't bad in the morning, but the ride back in the heat of the afternoon was rough.  Despite drinking a limonada on the way, I suffered from overheating and dehydration.  I had to sit in the pool for over an hour to recover.

I stopped along the way to take photos of some mushrooms growing along the bike path.



Along the wild part of the bike path a bougainvillea grows up a tree.

  
This is actually called a Flamboyant Tree.  First time I've seen one in bloom.

It's seed pods can be 18 inches long.

The first time you stay at Paradise Village Marina they give you a hand-painted
seed pod with your boat's name in glitter.

These two caballos were tied to the wall next to the Flamboyant tree.  You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours.

To get to the center of Bucerias from the bike path you have to cross a pedestrian bridge over an arroyo and pass through a narrow passage they have named "Paseo del Beso," the promenade or walkway of the kiss.

This caballero was in front of a large resort, probably hoping to sell rides to Mexican tourists.

This tree in Bucerias was gigantic.  The "little" building immediately behind it is actually four stories high

The plastic crate at its base, the chair behind it and the lounger in front can give you some idea of how big it is.

A 'mini' park where the street meets the beach in Bucerias

On the beach:  horses and a panga.  So Mexico!


I decided to have lunch at this restaurant on the beach, and just parked my bike at the table.

Nice spot, with horses and everything!  One of the waiters liked my bike and wanted to buy it for his fat brother.

This is Sandra.  She came by trying to sell trinkets, which is not unusual.  What was unusual was that she didn't move on when I said I wasn't interested.  We ended up having a bit of a conversation (as much as my limited Spanish allowed).  Her parents are in town while her job is selling the trinkets on the beach.  Her father doesn't work because he's home drunk. It was not easy trying to eat my lunch while she continued to hover at the table.  I offered her my chips and salsa, but she ate only one and said she wasn't hungry.  When she got more at ease she confessed she liked watermelon, so I gave her the slice on my plate.

She was curious about my bike helmet, so I let her  try it on.  Cute even backwards.  After a few more minutes she continued on her rounds.

This was the free mini white Russian I was given for dessert.  I needed it.

Part of the Bucerias mission was checking out the latest work of the Huichol artist who sells at the market in Bucerias (and Nuevo Vallarta in season) and whose work is both good and affordable.  I ended up getting another mask, this one more monochromatic.

Birds

This little guy roosted briefly on one of my lines.  It would appear to be the rather unfortunately named 'bushtit.'

  
Yellow-crowned heron chicks in the nest




Mom and dad

Kiskadee flycatcher lands on its nest

Kiskadee flycatchers:  Feed me!  Feed me!

Great-tailed grackle in its nest.

Got the first rain of the season today, right on schedule.  Pretty light and short-lived.  No thunderstorm.  (This is the view of the mangroves right behind the boat.)



1 comment:

  1. Wow. Now you're talking. This is a great week. Love the character and the local faces. Surprised with the books, and mushrooms! Great colours. and love birdies.

    ReplyDelete