Circumventing Phone Hell

I spent way too much time wrestling with frustrating problems trying to get my new phone to work for the second week.  The bottom line:  I need to get a new SIM card in the U.S. and activate it using a cell tower located in the U.S. in order to keep my current number and service plan.  So I got on a plane yesterday and arrived back in L.A. last night.  As soon as I'm finished with this post I'll go to the nearest AT&T store and see if I can finally get my phone working the way it should.  Stay tuned....

With the many bus trips I made into Puerto Vallarta to the AT&T store, I was able to squeeze in a little more exploration of the city.  In the process I scored several pitaya, a cactus fruit that I learned about from reading a book about an Englishman's walk around Baja.  They are much more fragile than the intimidating exterior would have you believe.  Mine were squashed by the time I got them back, but still tasted good.  Very unusual and hard to describe flavor.

I'm also starting to get acquainted with some of the few cruisers who will be around at least part of the summer.  It's a pretty exclusive group.  Hope I don't get too lonesome!


This is the Cafe des Artistes, a famous restaurant and art gallery.  It was one of several participating in Restaurant Week in Puerto Vallarta.

La Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de Guadelupe from the hill behind it

Another less famous church


El Mercado de Emilio Zapata


The market is patronized almost exclusively by locals and few ex-pats


The well in the inner courtyard is used for getting water

One of several fruit and vegetable vendors



I was able to get the last three pitayas from one vendor.  They are available for only about a month, and go quickly.

This is the pitaya cactus that grows wild and is also grown commercially.

Other unusual finds included Manta Ray at a fish vendor

Nearby were typical clothes and souvenir vendors

This tile wall surrounded a school

The Margaritagrill

The famous panga pier in the Romantic Zone

The poster says "In this paradise there is no place for trash."

Wonder why they are called green iguanas?

Because the babies are bright green!

Flowers like this are all around Paradise Village

This poor puffer fish was probably a casualty of the red tide

Dinner with Paula and Wags at the Fajita Republic

I removed all my instruments to prevent lightning damage from thunderstorms.

Completed air conditioner installation

The step is sturdy and looks acceptable

Having been in Mexico for months where you are expected to look where you are going to avoid the ubiquitous holes and hazards, I got a kick out of these warning signs on the jetway being the first thing I saw stepping back into the U.S.

1 comment:

  1. Tsk tsk (shaking head) Stuck in the world of technology, face down instead of living life. Cell phones make good anchors. Ditch the shit and quit texting while driving.

    ReplyDelete