May 30, 2013

Major milestone this week:  the aft cabin is DONE!  Had a nice dock party to celebrate and show off my work to friends and neighbors.  I got a lot of compliments and a good time was had by all.  Spent my first night sleeping in the aft cabin too.  As a result, I found a few minor lighting issues that I corrected this week.  Still need to move clothes and gear to really settle in.

After cleaning up from the festivities, it was back to sanding and varnishing in the doghouse. I sanded all the new Epifanes Woodfinish after the third coat had dried thoroughly and laid on three more.  I also ground off all the old finish from the chart table lid and the little locker lid and laid on the first three of coats of Woodfinish.  I'll use the remainder of the Woodfinish on the lids and accessories, and then sand everything again and lay on a couple of coats of Epifanes Clear.   A lot of work, but it looks a LOT better!
















2 comments:

  1. Congrats.

    The cabin is stunning. We now see the whole and it is majestic. Such a difference in perspective, as till now, we only have seen bits and pieces -- my imagination limited to construct a vision of the whole.

    It looks like a catalog shot for a new boat. Where do I order online and what models are available?

    I can't imagine there are many more jobs left with the interior?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SM! It's a small space, so it's tough to show it all in one image. I finally took a panorama shot from the foot of the starboard quarterberth that did a decent job of it. It's really nice to finally be able to enjoy the aft cabin after so much work. There is still quite a lot of work left to do in the main cabin and the forward cabin (vberth). The biggest jobs are putting in overhead panels, new wiring and lighting, and adding and finishing trim all around. I also have three more bronze ports to install. So keep up the encouragement!

      Delete