May 9, 2013


It was a busy week, but a lot was accomplished.  Bruce, a master mechanic who was once a service manager for a Rolls Royce dealer and has been a marine mechanic for the last 15 years or so, helped me diagnose my alternator issues.  (He wouldn’t accept any payment, so I twisted his arm until he agreed to let me buy him a beer at our local hangout.) The alternator is fine, it’s an instrumentation issue.  I cleaned up the main ground connections on the engine which seemed to help.  I need to replace an idiot light bulb too.  No big deal.  Whew!  Hector came by to trial fit a new scoop/bug screen for the forward hatch and delivered the carpet pieces for the aft cabin to which he had added some matching edge trim.
I did some work too.  I finished the restoration of my outrigger paddle in time for a race on Saturday, glued down the carpet in the aft cabin, finished sanding the teak in the cockpit/doghouse and applied some penetrating epoxy and a bit of Cetol, finished and mounted the pinrail on the shelf fiddles in the aft cabin, and completed the cockpit table with the addition of a modified mount I found in a used marine gear store.  If that isn’t enough, I spent a day taking photographs of a group of pianists for a client of Carol’s.  Been paddling a lot too.  And yes, I’m tired!





















2 comments:

  1. wow - indeed a week!

    that engine looks brand new! Impressed how you take care of it.

    Clever the table mount.

    Mixed feeling about gluing carpets though.

    but the wood work - joy!

    and flowers were a nice perfect authentic cadence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words! The carpet covers the curved inside of the fiberglass hull next to the berths. It is more-or-less quarter-round and this steeply angled "floor" is what you step on when getting into or out of the berth, so you don't want to slip. Hence the ribbed carpet glued securely. A friend's similarly glued down carpet is holding up fine after some 20 years!

    ReplyDelete