August 21, 2014

The main project for the week was the completion of the lazy jacks to control the main when it's dropped, especially important with a big doghouse that makes it more difficult to get to the boom.  I used an article from Good Old Boat magazine as my guide.   Because Circadian has roller reefing for the main, I could not connect the lines to fixed points on the rotating boom. Instead, I ran a baseline from the mast to the main sheet shackle on the end of the boom (which doesn't rotate) and put eyes with thimbles where needed for the verticle lines.  It's done, but final adjustments will need to wait until I test it this weekend.  (The wind was always from the wrong direction at the dock.)

I also spent a lot of time just putting things back together to make the boat seaworthy again (anchors, sheets, instruments, helm seat, etc, etc.).  I had to pump out the holding tank, get outboard gas mixed and a propane tank filled.  I wanted to do some routine engine maintenance, but it was clear there wouldn't be time.  Another week and 10 more hours running time won't make any difference.  (I did start it and run it for a while to make sure everything was operating properly).  One day was devoted to doing mast work on Circadian and a dockmate's boat.  We helped each other.  He needed help running a wire cable through his mast, I needed a belay when I went up the mast to drill and thread holes on the spreaders for the eye straps holding up the lazy jacks. (He's a former rock climber and surgeon, so you couldn't ask for a better qualified belay partner!)

It's been hectic trying to get everything done so that Carol and I can head to Santa Cruz Island Saturday for a dockmate's annual cruise-in birthday bash, costume contest, fish fry and potluck.  It'll be good to get to sea again, and fun, but probably exhausting since we have to squeeze it into a tight schedule.  Big change from last weekend when all I had to do was eat lobster to help Carol celebrate her birthday!

















1 comment:

  1. is it really true that you have roller reefing on the main? Thats awesome. In the boom or the mast? Do you really need lazy jacks at all for this type of reefing?

    Love the flowers, but its time to go for a SAIL!!!

    ReplyDelete