August 7, 2014

Rather than start  this week on stripping, sanding and refinishing the starboard cap rail (a 3-week job), I decided to begin getting the boat ready for sea so that I can join some friends at the Island in two weeks for the annual fish-fry, birthday party and bacchanal at Smugglers Cove.  I wanted to get two major projects done by then (in addition to routine maintenance items):  install lazy jacks for the main and solve the problem of the anchor chain stacking up in the locker and jamming before all the chain can be cranked aboard. 

This week I tackled the anchor chain problem.  I replaced the small chain pipe tube with an 8 inch heavy duty PVC pipe that was large enough for the chain to pile up inside it.  It proved big enough to accommodate all the chain.  Now the chain can be knocked down into the locker at leisure later rather than requiring crew below while the anchor is being raised. 

I also started properly re-stowing all the gear that had been tossed into the dinghy during the cabin and deck painting process.  Doing so revealed several other new issues that had to be dealt with this week.   Oars had to be sanded and refinished, leaks sealed, chafed line and stripped davit crank set screw repaired, etc, etc.

But this weekend:  BIRTHDAY!!!  I MIGHT recover enough by Monday to get back to work....

















2 comments:

  1. The chain pipe me thinks was essential, some of the others, not so.

    Flowers are essential.

    ReplyDelete