August 28, 2014

Amazingly, I actually took the boat out this week...albeit briefly. Carol and I took her across the channel to Smugglers Cove on Santa Cruz Island.  There was no wind...just a long south swell from a hurricane off Mexico, so we had to motor.  Despite the placid seas, Carol was afflicted with mal de mer, which was no fun. Fortunately, she recovered enough to enjoy the party on the mother ship (a DeFever 55) and was much better on the trip back the next day. We saw some dolphins, but only at a distance, and a lot of velella velella. There was just enough wind to try out the new lazy jacks.  They worked in that they controlled the main enough that I could wait to properly flake it until I was in the slip.  However, I added a couple of more lines to try to hold it on the boom more neatly.  I also resolved that, when I can afford it, I will replace some of the running rigging.  It's not that it's suspect, it's just that there are so many lines all alike and all terminating at the foot of the mast that it's tough to sort them out and keep them straight.  Color coded lines and labeled cleats will make it much easier.

After a day and half spent putting things away and cleaning up from the trip, it was back to stripping, sanding and refinishing the starboard cap rail.  For some reason it seems to be going a bit faster than the port side.  Might be because the sun has stripped a bit more of it.  With luck I might get it done next week.  Then I get to start on the stern cap rail.  Joy!



















2 comments:

  1. Wow, a double feature....an account of the voyage and all the other boat work too. Thank you for being discrete and only showing me from behind lounging in the cockpit. Seasickness is not a flattering condition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nice FINALLY out there, and a bit of rail work as a dessert. A yummy adventure at last!

    ReplyDelete