Chamela

It was nice to arrive it a big open anchorage where there would be no worries about the anchor holding. The wind picked up a bit in late afternoon, so I used my combination snubber and bridle. In rigging it up, I did something I have not seen elsewhere: instead of using one heavy line for the snubber, I used two parallel lighter (3/8 inch) nylon lines in parallel, one about a foot longer than the other. The idea is that under lighter loads the single line can stretch and reduce the shock loads, while under higher loads the single line will stretch enough to allow the second line to take up half the load. (The bridle, to which the snubber is attached, is made of ¾ inch polyester, which has less stretch to reduce chafe.) I haven't tested it under high loads, but in moderate conditions it has worked fine. It definitely helped the boat ride better in Chamela.
I took the kayak ashore because there was some surf and that was less risky than the dink. I enjoyed a walk along the beautiful crescent white sand beach and had lunch in one of the beachside palapa restaurants. My luncheon entertainment was watching the pelicans dropping out of the sky and fishing so close to the beach they were nearly mixed in with the kids swimming. After lunch I walked into town to explore and pick up a few groceries. In the evening I had wine and cheese with new friends Jerry and Jane on The next day I motored across the bay to anchor in a small cove at Isla Pasavera, which is one of several small islands in the middle of Bahia Chamela.

























1 comment:

  1. Love the two waves shots, those lovely red flowers and that incredible sunset.

    ReplyDelete